Saturday, January 3, 2015

Last Night







I think I had two cigarettes last night.
I think my coat had twenty.
As I sit in the cold vapor of my car waiting for it to warm,
The cigarette smell washes strong memories.
They say scent is the best evoker of memories. 
I smell something good and something foul.
The good is me and Joel hanging.
Makes me think of 'Two of Us' by the Beatles.

Ineffable memory. Can't be captured or rendered.
Drank cheap whisky with a motley crew of hipsters.
Listened to top 40's and someone's ipod.
One kid stumped me with a Blondie tune. For shame!
Youth of today may not be completely lost after all.
Didn't think kids today knew about rock and roll.

Woman from New York said she was an editor.
Showed her my blog with twenty some poems.
Dismissed them completely, saying something terse.
That witch didn't know shit about verse.
She looked like Edie Sedgwick if she had lived to her fifties.
With a sterner brow and cold cold eyes. 
Her coat probably cost more than an X Box.
Opportunity knocked and said better luck next time.

I met a really cool girl at the party.
Her boyfriend challenged me to write this poem
He never sent me his poem so I guess I won.
Some people are only in your life for fleeting moments.
But they still have an impact.
The hostess left before Joel and me.
She ran off with the kid with the ipod.
The dish ran away with the spoon
By the light of the silvery moon.
It was that kind of night.


















\

No comments:

Post a Comment