Saturday, December 27, 2014

Useless Things





When I left my last apartment
There were things I didn't need to keep.
A hundred-eighty pound television
That nearly broke my back.
Some books read, and unread.
Some memories best left forgotten.
An end table, cooking utensils, a dying plant.
Humidity, faint light, and the stench
Of suffering and solitude.

I left the tall 60's era Dylan poster
That loomed too large
And made me feel insignificant.
I couldn't look Bob in the eye anymore.
But he didn't make a big deal about it.
Magnanimous gesture, that.

I left a cupboard full of food.
You would have eaten that food, Terrence.
You ate my food, you stole my things.
You were a vulture.
You preyed on the trusting.
I left your ghost in my apartment
Because you are dead to me.
You are a walking junkie corpse.
A sallow, thin-lipped piece of nothing.
Most of all I left you behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment